Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gus Johnson x MMA

Gus Johnson voices his opinion upon criticisms of his MMA commentary.


 

"I take a lot of criticism, but I try my best to try to help promote this fucking sport, when nobody else, including television executives could give two shits because they think it's barbaric and it's filled with a bunch of hoodlums, which is exactly how it looked to everyone watching the show Saturday night. The problem with MMA is that these Internet guys ruin the sport because they're negative 90 percent of the time. I try to say as many good things about these athletes in this sport on a network level - not on an underground level or a Spike TV cable level or a pay-per-view level. My job isn't to promote the sport. I'm paid to give my opinion and to describe what I see and it's my opinion that the guys they had Jake fight were supposed to beat him. That's how I see it. I said it, so I believe it. That's disrespect. Do you mean to tell me that Strikeforce didn't bring a former Pride champion [like] Dan Henderson in to beat Jake Shields? Come on, man. I'm also not blaming Miller for what happened. Mayhem didn't do anything that Shane Mosely hasn't done, or other fighters who aren't a part of the main event of the card who get in the cage or the ring to hype a future fight haven't done hundreds of times before. It always happens. That's not a big deal. The reaction from Gilbert and Jake and all these guys was what was the big deal. It was improper, and to be honest, it was shameful."

Dana White's repsonse...
"When have you seen anything remotely close to that happen at a UFC event?" White said. "What kind of ridiculous commentary was that? That was an idiotic thing to say. And then he was yelling at them to stop, telling them they are on national television. That was just another example of how bush league they are."

White is right about this one. I mean things like this happen in all sports. We constantly see brawls in hockey, but we don't call them barbaric. Remember the fuckery that was Ron Artest and the Piston's fans? For Gus Johnson to say "things like this happen" in regards to MMA is ridiculous, it's the first something like this happened, its just unfortunate that it was on CBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Everyday Slacker's Fan Box