Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne Dies At 92



Hollywood legend Lean Horne has passed away at the age of 92 after a lengthy illness.
As MGM’s first leading lady of color, Lena paved the way for African-American actors in Hollywood.
“For the first time, people looked at a black woman and really considered her beautiful,” Halle Berry told People. “She was breaking ground just by breathing.”
However, Lena still faced adversity based on her skin color and grew frustrated with the disparity.
“When I stopped trying to break the barriers, that’s when I looked around and saw white people, a lot of good white people who would hold hands with their colored sisters,” Lena told  People in 1981. “I also saw that there are many people who aren’t black who get kicked around too. I saw that and I softened up.”

Via JustJared

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Everyday Slacker's Fan Box